Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2013

The city - traveling in Melbourne

Melbourne trains

To travel in the heart of the city you need to go to the train station, which is 15min by foot from my house, but in the future I'll have a bike (which I'm going to lock up at the station) so it will only take me about 5min.

You will need a "myki pass/card" (see images) like the "oyster card" in London or the "octopus card" in Hong Kong to top up.

A daily pass costs 7Aus$ and weekly 35$( unlimited travel). City-trams are included.

The MONEY are Australian $$$. Where you calculate 20%off and you get the € price. The "paper" money is a special material similar to plastic so you can wash it or trying to "scrunch it up"or crumple up but they will always unfold. Very colourful and on some parts "see-through". Clever money. (see images)

My station: East Malven / Weverly street
To: Flinders street (city center)

Last trains from the city to my place:
mo.-thur.: 11.59
fr.-sa.:1.05 from Flinders str.

How to use the myki pass:
Touch on and off card when going by train. (see image)
When you get on a tram, only touching once.

I witnessed this system in various cities and I have to say it's the most convenient way of public traveling as you can always go to one of the machines and top up money/ daily travels,...etc. (see first images)

The train ride took exactly 20min and I was in the center of the city. Exactly opposit of the train exit is a massive Information center where you can get lots of information materials such as flyers, folders, little magazines,...etc. all about what you can do in the city or around in the area of Victoria.
Inside the informAtion center are also various maps, routes and suggestions for day trips or more. On the walls you will find maps and a lot of photographs whit discriptions of places.

After choosing a Nr. there are the personal advisors in the middle of the room, who will talk to you in person if you have specific questions or you would like to make a booking.

After I had my personal talk with one of the very friendly advisors I decided to go on the "red hop-on&off bus route" which is a FREE bus that stops at various points around then city and passes all the important sights. You will get a map from the information center or inside the bus.

The drivers is talking to you about the sighs you are passing+ additionaly an automatic voice on specific stops.

The tour takes about 1 hour depending on the traffic.

There is also the "circle tram" which is also a FREE tram which goes around the city center. Feel free to hop on and off.

However, after I finished my journey with the red bus I decided to discover the city center a bit more and discover the shops, streets and little lane I come across as I picked up some interesting "walking guids" from the information center.

The maps are very clear and shop suggestions or restaurant suggestions are pointed out on the side.

Places I would like to discover in the next days:

Various museums & galleries
The botanic garden
Melbourne zoo
Victoria Maket
Melbourne city beaches
Dockside with the boats and city view

... but the most impressive part of the city is without a doupt the modern architecture. Museums, trainstations, universities, residetial buildings or offices (etc.) they all built to impress and what I thought for myself was that they include a lot of triangle shapes.



































































Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen